Golden Jejuri, Maharashtra


An illustration of a devotee in Jejuri, outside the temple of Lord Khandoba



There are old men and women, sprightly and more energetic than me, climbing ahead to reach the fort temple dedicated to Khandoba in Jejuri. But embarrassed as I am, I am not unhappy, because each time I stop to catch my breath on the steps that lead to the shrine, I am amazed by the sheer variety of people that I see around me. Devotees, tourists, sellers of wares, children, people of all faiths, photographers - all through a misty yellow haze. Turmeric on the walls, on awnings of the shops, on all the people, on the steps gives everything a golden tinge. Little wonder then, that it is called 'Sonyachi Jejuri'. 

Men in spotless white dhotis, kurtas, topis and pants on the bottom most step are transformed by the time they reach the topmost step , blending into the yellow precincts of the temple with its pillars and arches. 

From the top you get a beautiful view of the town and the mountains. Many are in an exalted mood, throwing turmeric in the air causing it to settle down like fine dust until another devotee chooses to do the same. 

There is something about the place that makes it feel like it belongs to everybody. I could have spent several days there, months even and not come close to capturing the multitude of people that come here, bringing with them their stories and devotion. 

Other posts from my travel in Maharashtra - 







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India