Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai Monsoons




We landed in Mumbai on a bright, humid, sunny afternoon. For the next two days, it seemed like the gods were being kind to us tourists, as we went on pleasant walks in Bombay's beautiful Colaba area without any rain. Oh those buildings! I can't gush about them enough. They make you feel as if everyday is a holiday in some exotic, historical city. Perhaps, the locals would disagree. I am only unhappy that I didn't have enough time or the right weather to explore all the places to my heart's content. Adding to the fact that Colaba is a swanky place and not too easy on the pocket. Do not miss the Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus ( Victoria Terminus)  with its lovely Gothic revival architecture and the BMC ( Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation) office in the evening. The lights are beautiful and make them look different from daytime.

On our way from Andheri to Colaba, we were guided by an Ola driver who took us by the Bandra- Worli sea link and was more than happy to show us some of the celebrities' houses like Ambani's Antilia and Isha Ambani's house. I don't think much of the wealth that went into them and the architecture, but I sure am jealous of the beautiful view they have right outside their balconies. The sea was placid enough that day. But two days later, we saw how monsoons made life miserable for Mumbaikars. Strangely enough, I didn't see anyone complaining about it, or being whiny and unhappy. That's more or less Bombay for me, spirited and forward-looking. There must be something in the air that makes the people so enterprising.

The sky was overcast with ominous clouds but everyone that I saw just went about their business. Lovers on Marine drive, Worli Seaface, Chowpatty and Bandra Bandstand were unfazed by the winds and the torrential rain, too caught up in their own little world, umbrellas shielding them as much from the rains as from prying eyes. Off Worli, we see the tiny islet with the Haji Ali Dargah. The clouds were lifting off the islet and coming towards Mumbai. Despite the rains, there were pilgrims and visitors flocking on the causeway. The last time I had been to Mumbai was in 2007 and I had wondered about this magical place that seemed to float in the middle of the Sea. I wanted to go there, back then, and this time as well, but the weather was not right. Perhaps, next time?

I was born here, and I have never lived here. But I still feel immense affection for this city. As my Mumbaikar uncle puts it, for a tourist there is not enough time and for a local, no time at all, to experience this marvelous city. I see what he means, as people, armed with umbrellas and raincoats, march on, ready to take on the world.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India