A sketch of Silver Jubilee Clock Tower in Mysore

Silver Jubilee Clock Tower, Mysore Sketchbook


It's a delight to walk around Mysore Palace. 

 The palace itself is of course beautiful (I love it in the night) but you stumble on other interesting monuments like the Dodda Gadiyara or the Silver Jubilee Clock tower when you amble leisurely in the many streets that join the Town hall road. 

 Built in 1927 to commemorate the silver jubilee of Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV's reign, its simplicity and elegance draws me to it. 

 It can be seen for miles around, but if you step closer, you begin to see that it's a great example of Indo-Saracenic architecture ( A combination of Indo-Islamic and Colonial British architecture) particularly in the beautiful dome. A sign-board tells me that this is a Rajputana style dome. Come to think of it, a lot can go wrong when you combine different styles, but this tower just works :-)

 My only regret is that I did not hear the Clock chime! I am a big fan of Clocks that chime ( I was so excited when the rather bombastically named 'Ambara Chumbana' was built near South End Circle, Bangalore - When I used to commute to College, I loved it when the bus stopped at the signal and I could hear it chime) 

 Waiting for another chance to have a leisurely amble in Mysuru again, and eat at Mylari :P

All my other Mysore posts - 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India