Feeding frenzy at the Pinnawala Elephant orphanage, Sri Lanka



Trunks flew overhead like missiles. And there was drool in the air! I was caught in the cross fire as the elephants shot out their trunks hither and thither to eat the bananas and other fruits the tourists were holding up for them.



The elephant I was trying to feed, opened his mouth wide, patiently waiting for me to pop the banana into his mouth when, quick as lightning, other elephants intercepted the food, rolled them up with their noses and gobbled them up. Self-service is the best service, I advised the poor fellow who had been cheated. He tapped me on the head, as if trying to see if I had some stashed away on my head and hands. I shrugged and told him -




        "See, my hands are empty!"





I am at Pinnawala in Sri Lanka, an orphanage for baby elephants close to the Maha Oya river. They are bathed twice a day in the river and many hotels and restaurants have sprung up close by so that visitors can eat, drink and relax with the gorgeous view of the shining river and the elephants bathing in it.

This place offers residential care to injured elephants. There is one elephant that had lost its foot in a landmine. Looks like elephants and other wildlife are the ones who suffer the most while dumb humans resort to armed violence to solve problems. This is a popular destination for tourists, the main attraction being - bottlefeeding baby elephants. I wonder what they do when the babies grow up. Apparently, the calves that are born inside Pinnawala are not bottlefed since they are not orphans. When places originally started for wildlife conservation also double up to cater to tourists, it makes me vaguely uneasy. Because tourists are a demanding lot and bring in profits, I feel the well being of the animals is often compromised to ensure tourists have a good time. Do you agree?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India