The Winter sun in Nainital




The way to Nainital from Kathgodam. Uttarakhand welcomed me with her arms wide open, as the bus turned yet another hairpin bend. Her pines glistened in the winter sun and the small mountain streams twinkled at me like her two merry eyes.  Two places have filled me with infinite delight because of their tininess – Gokarna and Nainital.  

I cannot describe what I felt when I finally reached the Tallital bus stand.The Naini lake stood there in majesty with the town all around her. From the cycle rickshaw that I sat in, I drank in all the beauty surrounding me. Truly you do not  know what sunlight means to you unless you are out on a winter’s day in the hills. And the sun is so caressing, it fills you with warmth.

Picture if you can a tiny teardrop of water, surrounded by higgledy-piggledy houses amid tall trees. Add to that a gloriously clear baby blue sky with dreamy clouds. That is what I saw on the ropeway. It must be so beautiful to see it in the night.  Nainital is a paradise if you like to stroll, amble, and walk. It is strictly meant for non purposeful walking J  No deep thinking required. You may put your hands in your pockets and whistle a little tune. That is permitted.

Near the Tibetan market the Naina Devi mandir beckons. It is exquisite because of its simplicity. It is wonderful to sit here and watch the lake – you can sit for hours while the brightly painted boats take travellers and honeymooners on a joyride in the lake.


A personal note to Debarati - Now I know why you are in love with Uttarakhand :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India