At the Royal Palace Museum, Thanjavur

An illustration of a Chola bronze sculpture in Royal Palace Museum, Thanjavur

Tagging along in my usual half-dazed way, I woke up when I set my eyes on the voluptuous, stunning Chola Bronze sculptures in the Royal Palace museum in Thanjavur. 

I simply had to sketch them - these absolutely exquisite representations of the grace of the human body. Made by highly skilled craftsmen enjoying the patronage of the Cholas, I understand much more about form and simplification as I draw. I also see how certain poses bring out the angles of the human body much more gracefully, how the fingers splayed out, extended can bring movement to inanimate bronze and make it live. How the hips and the shoulders align, how there is tension and relaxation and lines formed in the drapery and jewelry - all of it resting on a delicate balance to create an illusion of perfection.

This particular bronze sculpture that I referenced for my ( vector) illustration was found in Thiruvengadu around 11- 12th century. These sculptures were made using the Lost wax technique. 

Here's a wonderful documentary I saw which shows how these sculptures are made -


Do watch it till the end. I was amazed at how they measure proportions using something as easy to find as a coconut palm frond!

More posts about Thanjavur - 

In Thanjavur

Brihadeeshwara Temple in Thanjavur

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India