The Saptaparni tree in Hoshangabad

Saptaparni tree illustration, Hoshangabad

It was a dark night. I stood in the doorway, bewitched. The whole day, I had been longing to go closer to the tree, but I couldn't spare the time. Its fragrance, mysterious and exciting kept up a silent call that I finally gave in to. The Saptaparni tree was in full bloom.

I walked the length of the grounds that joined the building to the gate. I strolled, breathing in the peculiar fragrance that got stronger and stronger as the night wore on. I was hungry for more.Yes, the devil tree had found its mark - I was intoxicated.

I was aghast that a treasure like that had been hidden from me all these years. I would never have known of its existence, had I not stumbled on it in the Eklavya campus at Hoshangabad.

Saptaparni. What a beautiful name. This evergreen tree has clusters of seven leaves that glisten.Its pale green flowers are dangerous - you will long for them the whole year round! Though, of course these are my sentiments. My friend tells me she hates them because they give her a headache. And apparently it makes Asthma and bronchitis worse.

It is also called the Devil's tree. Shaitan ka jhad. I am told it is a favourite haunt of the spirits. Ghosts are said to congregate here. It doesn't sound so incongruous on a night like that, while I paced alone, unable and unwilling to break the spell and go back inside.

It is also called the blackboard tree. Its scientific name is Alstonia Scholaris. It was named after its many uses in 'scholarly pursuits' - slates, blackboards, pencils.

I have decided that I am going to plant one. I don't know when, I don't know where. But I am sure the opportunity will present itself :)

Also I have a business idea - make Saptaparni perfumes and sell them. Any takers? ( I will be your first customer.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India