Inside the Qutub complex, New Delhi


Tomb of Iltutmish, Qutub complex


On a cold morning, wearing three layers of clothes I set out to the Qutub Minar by walk.

 I was delighted that my friend's house was within walking distance. In the crisp morning, it was pleasant to be moving around in the sunshine. But the occasional gusts of wind can really get you!

I walked past Indian guides speaking to tourists in fluent Korean, Mandarin and Spanish. Wearing masks and impeccably dressed, the tourists stood about with garlands of marigold and a spot of sindoor, given ceremoniously by the tour guide in that 'oh so Indian' way.

And then it began.

The onslaught of children as they filed in, in unruly queues, jumping, pushing, shoving, being shoved by their teachers and yelling at the top of their voices. School bus after school bus disgorged their young, eager passengers and wary school teachers. They gawked at the foreign tourists, cast shy glances at girls, ignored the Qutub Minar and proceeded to the innumerable cubby holes inside the ruins from which they could horse around and take pictures of each other. The more adventurous ones used the crumbling rubble for some rappelling and rock climbing. This seems to be a fairly common sight, judging from the half-hearted rebukes and the occasional warning whistle by the security guard.

I found this quiet spot facing the Tomb of Iltutmish to sit and sketch to my heart's content. Nobody bothered me, except for a few inquisitive squirrels who seemed to believe that my bag was full of the most delectable food and that  I was hiding it from them. They would run up to me,sniff around my bag and run away again, watching me with beady eyes and twitching their tails.

The tomb of Shams- Ud- Din Iltutmish is simple on the outside with beautifully decorated interiors. Intricate carvings and Calligraphy adorn the walls and the tomb is made of white marble. The monuments in the Qutb complex are fine examples of early Indo - Islamic architecture with significant Afghan influences.




I designed these sketchbooks for travelling artists who want to make quick sketches. As it turns out, it is the perfect size to fit in the Qutub Minar :)








If you are interested in ordering these sketchbooks, please send in a message to niha.charu@gmail.com.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brihadisvara temple at Thanjavur

Pandharpur

Forgotten city of Ela - Revisiting Old Goa - the Se Cathedral


Society for Children's book Writers & Illustrators, India